Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Spreading Christmas Cheer

Well I think it is about time that I posted a seasonally appropriate recipe, don'tcha think?  Over the weekend He-man and I went to visit his cousins.  Since I try to bring something whenever I am invited to somebody's house, I decided to try out a recipe that I have had my eye on for a couple of weeks.  These soft and spicy gingerbread cookies were absolutely scrumptious!  I haven't piped frosting onto cookies before so it was fun and exciting to make a batch of royal icing and try this.  I didn't have a piping tip or anything - just filled a ziploc bag full of icing and snipped the tip - and it turns out that I have a really shaky hand.  And the bag kept bursting open and dripping royal icing down my hand.  Soooo, my cookies didn't turn out as pretty as the ones I was trying to imitate, but judging by the reactions of all my cousins-in-law, the difference probably wasn't very noticeable. 


This batch would have been way too big for just me and He-man, so I recommend freezing half the dough to use throughout the month unless you have more than a couple of people in your household.  Or making a double batch and freezing half of it so that you can have fresh gingerbread all December long without too much notice.

Soft and Spicy Gingerbread Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg (*note - I was too timid to do a full 2 tsp of both ginger and cloves so I only did 1 tsp of each, but having made the recipe now I think it would be great with the original amounts, albeit with more spice - its up to you); blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Cover, and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line with parchment. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool for 10 minutes on pan. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool with Royal Icing and sugar.

Royal Icing

2 large egg whites
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted


I found the original recipe at Good Things Catered.  Gotta dash.

Ciao.

4 comments:

  1. I think they are turned out perfect!! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh these cookies are beautiful!! and so is the picture of them! :)

    I'm going to make your newest favorite cookie today! the cranberry white chocolate ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny Aggie, because I was just thinking about making lasagna for dinner tonight based on the recipe you posted a few days ago. Something about cold weather and pasta is just magical for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy your lasagna! Yes, cold weather and pasta work for me too. However, today I was in a sweaty 85 degrees. Not December for us at all. Blah.

    Cookies turned out AWESOME!!! I'm going to post and link back to you!! And I'm dropping some off to neighbors for holiday treats! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!...