Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Checking it Twice

Naughty:



In this installment of Wonder Woman Confessions, we learn that WW is obsessed with lists.  Not that I have to make a list for everything, but that I, in fact, LOVE lists.  It is not a compulsion.  It is a relationship of love.  Lists make me feel in control.  They make me feel like I am doing something.  They make me feel like I am going places in my life.  Which I am.  Absolutely. 

And the grand daddy of all lists is a list of New Year's resolutions.  Mine isn't done yet, but oh how I enjoy working on it.  The actual creation of THE list is more important to me than achieving all of the goals.  Which may be a revelation for some, but only seems normal to me.  Because I already know that not all of the goals will be achieved.  But the practice of sitting down and thinking back over the past year and looking forward to the next one to evaluate where I want to go and what I want to do is a healthy one, dontcha think? 

Along related lines, I have been surfing all the cooking blogs lately in amazement at all of the fantastic looking treats that everyone has been making.  And to tell you the truth, it is a little overwhelming!  How do you decide what to make?  So I have been keeping a list of recipes and links that I am copying and pasting into my "Must Make Soon" document that just keeps growing and growing. 

And just because I love lists and feel like sharing, here are the top 10 recipes I have to try pronto (in no particular order):

Milk Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies (I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter, but these sound scrumptious)
Graham Crackers with Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows (what?  Graham crackers can be made at home?)
Double Vanilla Marshmallows (am I on a marshmallow kick or what?)
S'mores Cookies (yep, more marshmallow)
Roasted Artichoke and Spinach Dip (ooh, savory instead of sweet, my heart is doing flip-flops)
Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream (an ice-cream making attachment to my KitchenAid is on my Christmas list)
Moroccan Lentil Stew (a healthy option - check!)
Old Fashioned Caramel Layer Cake
S'mores Cookie Bars (back to the friggin' marshmallows - my bad)
Cranberry Filled Candy Cane Pastry (because it looks challenging)

Sometimes I even accomplish things that are on my lists.  On such occasions, I may just blog about it.  Like now.

Mississippi Mud Brownies



These turned out awesome and oh so rich and gooey.  Everyone in my family raved about them.  And they have MARSHMALLOWS.  I am a sick woman, I know. The original recipe says to bake for 18-23 minutes, but it took mine about 30 minutes before the toothpick came out clean. I double checked the temperature and everything, and there were no problems with the oven, so I'm not sure what was going on with the original recipe. The brownies were perfectly cooked too when I took them out, so just watch them carefully and test them often. They fell a lot when I removed the pan from the oven, but they didn't look bad because the toppings fill up the lost space, so no worries.
Ingredients:

1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut
1 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped and divided
1/2 bag miniature mashmallows

Cream together the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the vanilla and eggs. Add cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, and 1 cup chopped pecans and mix well. Turn into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan and bake for 20-24 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Immediately top with 1/2 bag of miniature marshmallows upon removing brownies from the oven. Let cool 5 minutes. Spread marshmallows gently over the top of the brownies. Top with remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans and fudge frosting.

Fudge Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, melted
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp milk
2 cups powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients for fudge frosting together and beat until smooth.  Gently spread over the marshmallows and pecans.  Allow brownies to cool completely.  (yeah, right - who ever does that?)



Adapted from Abby Sweets which was originally a cake.  Mine are definitely more brownie-ish.  Gotta dash now.  Ciao.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm. My mom made a slightly different version of these when I was growing up. DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, have a LONG, LONG list of recipes I want to make in the future. Thanks for sharing your list! :)
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really good at making the lists - not so good with getting things done and checking them off!! These look delish!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!...